Greetings unto the noble populace of Skraeling Althing from Baron and Baroness Shahid and Catherine.
Yesterday in Our Baronial court we announced that it is Our Intent to step down as Baron and Baroness and have formally begun the selection process to determine Our heirs.
Serving as your Baron and Baroness truly has been one of the greatest experiences of Our SCA careers. It is also, however, a large commitment of time and energy to the Barony. We would encourage potential candidates to think carefully about whether or not they are willing and able to make such a commitment. Please do not hesitate to come to Us, or any of the previous Barons and Baronesses, with your questions.
To be considered for this position you must be a full member of the SCA and a resident of the Barony of Skraeling Althing. You must send a letter of intent to Our King and Queen, Kingdom Seneschal, Baronial Seneschal and Ourselves by noon on June 20. Letters of intent must include scans of the candidates’ membership cards and should include some details about your SCA career (often called an SCA resume) and a letter detailing what you feel you bring to the position. Electronic submissions are acceptable.
Candidates will be announced in court at Trillium War.
The selection timeline is as follows:
- April 28. Coronation. Announcement of intent to step down in court.
- Before May 1. Publication of the Request for Letters of Intent to the Baronial and Canton mailing lists, and on the Baronial website, as well as in a special edition of the Chronicle as soon as possible).
- June 20, noon. Deadline for letters of intent to be received.
- Trillium War Court (June 30?). Official introduction of candidates in court.
- July-August. Candidate meetings and polling. Scheduling of candidate meetings will be at the discretion of the Cantons, not the candidates.
- August 31. All ballots must be submitted to the Baronial Selection Committee by this date.
- Early September 2018. Completion of tallying and results delivered to Their Majesties.
- September 22. Coronation. The new baronial heirs will be announced in court.
- November 3. Feast of the Hare. Baronial Investiture.
The full selection process, including how votes are tallied, is detailed in our Baronial By-laws – available on the Skraeling Althing website (http://www.skraelingalthing.com/docs/Skraeling_Althing_By-Laws_web2015.pdf).
Shahid and Catherine,
Baron and Baroness of Skraeling Althing