It takes many people to make a barony. From the Baron and Baroness, to our most welcome newcomers, everyone has a part to play. Without our many volunteers, the Barony of Skraeling Althing could not continue to operate.
Here you can get to know some of the many people living and working in the Barony.
Baronial Officers, Staff, and Champions
Baronial Officers are serve as administrators, organizers, and points of contact for the various activities that we enjoy in the SCA.
- The Baron & Baroness are the ceremonial heads of the Barony, and are the King and Queen’s representatives within the group, as well as the Barony’s representatives to the rest of the Kingdom and the SCA.
- The Chatelaine (sometimes called Castellan or Hospitaller) is our newcomer liaison, and is usually in charge of organizing public demos.
- The Chronicler oversees the creation and distribution of the Baronial newsletter.
- The Clerk-Register oversees the Baronial website, and the electronic publishing of the Baronial newsletter.
- The Exchequer is in charge of all financial activities in the Barony.
- The Herald (sometimes called Pusuivant) assists the people of the Barony with selecting and registering suitable medieval names and heraldry.
- The Marshal is responsible for martial activities in the Barony, including armored combat, rapier combat, siege weapons, combat archery, and target archery.
- The The Minister of the Arts and Sciences is responsible for encouraging and supporting the study of medieval culture and technology, including methods for producing historically accurate artifacts and performances.
- The Seneschal is the administrative and legal representative of the Barony.
- The Scribe is responsible for taking minutes during council meetings and ensuring they are published in a timely fashion.
- The Signet is responsible for making sure that Their Excellencies are able to present calligraphed and illuminated scrolls to the populace in recognition of their efforts.
Baronial Staff serve the Baron & Baroness, assisting them as needed.
Baronial Champions represent the finest the Barony has to offer. Champions are charged to defend the honour of the Baron and Baroness, Skraeling Althing and its populace, the Kingdom of Ealdormere, whenever called upon to do so. During their tenure, champions are granted the right to wear and use the regalia of the position, be counted among Their Excellencies entourage and stand with them in Baronial Courts. This title is held for one year, and Championship Tournaments are held annually.
Baronial Awards are given to people in recognition of service, achievement, good deeds, or for many other reasons.
- The Bunny Tail (also known as a “Piece of Tail”) is usually the first Baronial recognition a person gets and is used to acknowledge that a newcomer is now “one of us” and is a valued member of the Barony.
- The Great Chalice of Skraeling Althing is given to an individual or individuals who are seen as exemplars of authenticity in their recreation, and whose qualities of service, hospitality, courtesy, dress and deportment are foremost. Specifically, it recognizes the person or persons who have advanced the cause of authenticity in diverse aspects of Baronial life. This award is open to any member of the Barony regardless of rank or office. As this award will make the recipient(s) the Baronial Cup Bearer(s) for one year, it will be presented in succession.
- The Order of the Black Hare is given in recognition of outstanding achievement and contributions to the Arts and Sciences within the Barony of Skraeling Althing.
- The Order of the Friends of the Hare is the equivalent of the Order of the Hare Salient, but is given to people from outside the Barony of Skraeling Althing or to people who are leaving the Barony to move elsewhere.
- The Order of the Hare Salient is the Baronial-level service award and is given for outstanding service to the Barony of Skraeling Althing.
- The Order of the Hare Valiant is given in recognition of outstanding achievement and contributions to the Martial Arts within the Barony of Skraeling Althing. The “Martial Arts” include: armoured combat, rapier combat, archery and equestrian activities.
- The Order of the Tantony is given in recognition of outstanding achievement and contributions within the SCA by a member of the Barony of Skraeling Althing who is less than 16 years of age. The Tantony is the smallest bell in a carillon of bells. Even the smallest voice contributes to the harmony of the Barony.
Within the barony are four local branches. These branches have their own officers, who report to the Baronial Officer, and are responsible for organizing events and activities in their geographic area.
- Canton of Caldrithig (Ottawa, Ontario)
- Stronghold of Greyfells (Kingston, Ontario)
- Canton of Harrowgate Heath (Winchester, Kemptville, Cornwall and surrounding communities)
- Stronghold of Tor Brant (Petawawa, Renfrew County, CFB Petawawa)